Military Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.
Congressman Emmer may nominate individuals for each vacant academy slot alloted to the Sixth Congressional District. Eligibility information and nomination requirements can be found below.
U.S. Military Academy - West Point, NY
U.S. Naval Academy - Annapolis, MD
U.S. Air Force Academy - Colorado Springs, CO
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy - Kings Point, NY
- Regulations require that a nominee reside in the district that the nominating Member of Congress represents. Rep. Emmer represents the Sixth Congressional District of Minnesota and can only nominate students whose parents' legal voting address is within the Sixth District. Find out what district you live in here.
- Nominees must be permanent residents of both the State of Minnesota and U.S. citizens.
- Candidates must not be older than 22 years of age, and cannot be or have ever been, married, and must not have dependents.
- If an applicant has a parent who is an active or retired military serviceman, or a parent who is a disbale or decesased veteran, he/she should review the instructions in the serivce academy literature to learn of additional means of receiving a nomination.
Method of Nomination
All application materials must be postmarked no later than October 27, 2017. Interviews for those who qualify will take place on Saturday, November 11, 2017.
To apply for an academy nomination, the following items must be submitted to Congressman Tom Emmer, 9201 Quaday Ave NE, Suite 206, Otsego, MN 55330.
- A completed Application for Nomination, including a recent photograph.
- High School transcript(s).
- Three letters of recommendations.These should be by individuals who are familiar with the applicant and could accurately comment on the applicant's character, abilities, motivation and potential. Suggestions include teachers, clergy, coaches, employers, veterans, neighbors and other non-family members.
- SAT and/or ACT scores. Make sure to send test scores to my district office in Otsego.
- A typed essay explaining why the candidate is applying for a nomination to a military academy.This should be no longer than two pages, double-spaced.
Note: Students are encouraged to begin the process during the spring of their junior year of high school.
For additional information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.